Show More

Electrical Wiring - Bad Wires Starts Fires

As a consumer it is important to consider how safe your home or business is. How old is your home or business premises?  Have you had the electrical wiring checked by a qualified electrician in order to ensure that it does not pose any danger?  

 

The electrical wiring needed for your lights, stove and other electrical equipment and appliances may be potentially unsafe. The wiring could be deteriorating and unable to cope with the requirements of a modern household and your home could catch fire because of faulty and/or unsafe wiring.

Businesses operating out of older buildings or businesses operating out of offices that were originally poorly or incorrectly wired should be looking at upgrading the electrical wiring. 

 

Look out for the following warning signs:

1. Your circuit breakers are tripping frequently

If the circuit breakers trip occasionally, it could just be because of overload. However, if they trip multiple times in a short period it could be a sign of a potentially dangerous problem with your home's wiring. 

2. Flickering, buzzing and dimming lights

One possibility could simply be that the bulb is defective or loose. Check the bulb and replace it with a working one. If the flickering persists, it could be a sign that your home's wiring requires upgrading. 

3. Discolouration and smoke

Any discolouration or scorch marks on your outlets is a sure sign that the wiring in your home has been damaged in some way and it is releasing heat.

4. Frequent sparks

Frequent sparks when connecting an appliance to an outlet could mean that there is something wrong with the outlets circuit.

5. Frayed or chewed wiring

This is usually caused by pests in the ceiling space. Any damaged wiring poses a major electrocution and fire hazard.

6. Burning smell and odd odours

Any burning, smoke or odd odours coming from the outlets could mean that something is already overheating and could cause an electrical fire. Immediately switch off the power and call your electrician. 

7. Warm or vibrating outlets

If your light switches, power outlets and connected power cords feel warm to touch, that's another possible sign of problems with your home's wiring. Also check the area around your ceiling fixtures for warmth. Poorly insulated fixtures can heat up and if the recommended wattage for a bulb is exceeded the light will overheat. 

 

Contact E.J Electrical and Communications for an inspection of your property to ensure that your electrical cabling is safe and sufficient. Should the inspection show that work is required, you can trust us to give honest and reliable advice as to what work will have to be done to bring your property up to a safe standard.

 

Works could include:

  • Complete Home Rewiring

  • Switchboard Upgrade

  • Lights and/or Power Points Replacement

 

Infinity Cable National Recall

In 2014 the ACCC issued a national recall of the Infinity Cable. "Testing has found that the cables will degrade prematurely, and if disturbed, the insulation could break and expose live conductors, resulting in possible electrical shock or fires", advised ACCC Chairman Rod Sims. Despite a national recall, out of 4000 km of defective cable being installed across the country only about 1% of potentially fatal wiring has been replaced.  

 

The cable was sold from 18 suppliers across the country and installed in homes between 2010 and 2013.  

 

For more information regarding the recall, see www.accc.gov.au/update/infinity-cable-recall-act-now-before-its-too-late. (Source: Electrical Gems, Issue 129, Oct - Nov 2015)

 

Arrange an inspection of your property to address any concerns that you might have. 

Contact Us Today For An Obligation Free Quote!